Gilman-McCain Scholarship for Children of Active Duty Military Personnel
The U.S. Department of State’s Gilman-McCain Scholarship provides awards of $5,000 for undergraduate child dependents of active duty service members to study or intern abroad on credit-bearing programs. Developed under the framework of the State Department’s Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program, the John McCain International Scholarship for the Children of Military Families (Gilman-McCain Scholarship) is open to eligible students enrolled at accredited U.S. colleges and universities who receive any type of Title IV federal financial aid.
- U.S. citizen
- Undergraduate student in good academic standing.
- Dependent child of an active duty military member(s) during the time of application in one of the following branches: Air Force, Army, MarineCorps, Navy, and Coast Guard.
- Recipient of any type of Title IV federal financial aid.
- In the process of applying for, or accepted to, a credit-bearing study abroad or internship program in a country with an overall Travel Advisory of 1 or 2, according to the U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory System.
Students have multiple application dates to apply for the Gilman-McCain Scholarships. Students are highly encouraged to apply as early as possible so that they can receive their scholarship payment in time for their departure.
For students studying or interning abroad during the following date ranges / Student Application Deadline / Notification:
February 2020 – October 2020 / December 1, 2019 / January 2020
March 2020 – October 2020 / January 1, 2020 / February 2020
May 2020 – April 2021 / March 3, 2020 / April 2020
- Complete the application at GilmanScholarship.org
- Contact your campus study abroad advisor as early as possible to inform them you are applying for the scholarship.They are a great resource!